The EmployABILITY Awards recognize:
- People who, despite a substantial barrier to employment, successfully obtained and maintained competitive employment.
- Businesses and employers for their efforts in removing barriers and hiring people with disabilities.
- Service providers for their commitment to move persons with disabilities from job preparation to job placements.
- Volunteers who give their time to assist persons with disabilities and the removal of barriers.
- Media personalities or groups that promote stories on either individuals with disabilities or businesses that have made their premises accessible.
With support from the Ontario Disability Support Program, DREN would also like to thank the following organizations for their generous sponsorships for the EmployABILITY Awards Gala over the years.
- Manufacturing and Technology Centre
- Great Blue Heron Charity Casino
- Durham Workforce Authority
- Durham Region Police Services Board
- Agilec formerly known as Northern Lights Canada
- Durham College
2013 EmployABILTY Awards
The 2013 EmployABILITY Awards were held on October 3, 2013 to kick off National Disability Employment Awareness Month.
The evening was hosted by Don Pittman and featured Canadian jazz singer Samantha Mutis as our entertainer this year. Her resume includes numerous performances at International Symposiums and ASD Events as a speaker and singer, blending her personal story with her music in a way that allows her audience to understand and share the challenges and joys that she has experienced. Having been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at age four, she understands firsthand the importance of education in understanding and accepting everyone's differences.
2012 EmployABILITY Awards
On June 7th 2012 the Durham Region Employment Network held the 11th Annual EmployABILITY Awards Gala at the Tosca Banquet Hall in Oshawa.
The evening was hosted by Don Pittman and featured a Keynote speech from Chelsy Gotell, as well as an address from Miguel Aguayo, Senior Program Advisor, Ministry of Community and Social Services, ODSP Branch.
2011 EmployABILITY Awards
This year was the 10th Anniversary of the EmployABILITY Awards Gala. The event was held on June 1, 2011 at Tosca Banquet and Conference Centre.
The evening featured a special awards ceremony hosted by Ken Shaw, MC Don Pitman and entertainment by Timothy McCallum, along with an address from The Honorable Madeleine Meilleur, Minister of Community and Social Services for Ontario.